You can’t beat homemade dressing. In this recipe alone I eliminated about a 1/3 cup of oil as called for decreasing the oil to 1/3 cup instead of 2/3. I also replaced the salted herbs with non-salted herbs and omitted the sugar.
This is a recipe for an Italian dressing powdered mix. Each mix makes about four 8-oz servings of dressing. I like to combine all of the ingredients in a jar and shake to combine. It is faster to use the jar than whisking in the oil separately.
Source: Adapted from Allrecipes.com
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
2 tablespoons salt
In a small bowl, mix together the garlic salt, onion powder, sugar, oregano, pepper, thyme, basil, parsley, celery salt and regular salt. Store in a tightly sealed container.
To prepare dressing, whisk together 1/4 cup white or red wine vinegar, 2/3 cup canola oil, 2 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons of the dry mix. Store in the refrigerator.
**The oil will separate after sitting for a period of time. Just shake or whisk the dressing to incorporate the ingredients before serving.
– Use orange juice in place of the water with red wine vinegar.
– Use half the oil reducing the amount to 1/3 cup.
– Use the powdered mix to marinade steaks, chicken, season popcorn and chips.
– Mix Italian dressing mix into 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup sour cream to make a veggie dip.
– You can find a better deal on bulk spices and herbs at culinary shops like Smart & Final or club warehouses or Big Lots.